We like to celebrate the change of seasons. Autumn is so bright, colourful and inspiring when it comes to making art. I collected a few art projects and crafts that we would like to try this fall. There are thirty one of them, which means that if we do one every day, we will have enough for the whole month of art!
To my son, everything that a change of seasons brings is new, wonderful and worth exploring! He jumps right in the centre of puddles and rolls pumpkins around like balls. Hands-on experience is very important for children learning about the world! Art comes later, helping to process the information in a creative way. It also develops fine motor skills, nurtures imagination and thinking outside of the box, and is simply a pleasant screen-free past time. So, we are always looking for new art experiments to try, and these are some of my favourite ones for the fall.
The art projects here are divided into four categories: painting, drawing, sculpting and mixed media. While they are generally meant for children older than three years old, many of them are so simple that toddlers can enjoy them as well. I have tried a couple with my son, and we are going to do more!
1. Fall Leaf Watercolour Resist Art from Fun at Home with Kids: make a beautiful leaf painting using leaves and a glue gun.
2. Tree of Thanks from Mama. Papa. Bubba: paint a tree, leaf by leaf and find out what your family members are thankful for, in preparation for Thanksgiving.
3. Painted Leaf Critters from Tinkerlab: create a bunch of whimsical leaf buddies.
4. Painting with Rain from Nurture Store: on one of the drizzly days, invite rain to be your art collaborator!
5. Fall Window Art from Fun at Home with Kids: make colourful suncatchers with coffee filters and watercolours.
6. Exploring Negative Space from Fun-a-Day: make a tree from a print of your hand and explore negative space.
7. Glitter Leaves from Artful Parent: add glamour to the leaves, while practising careful outlining of leaf veins.
8. Fall Leaf Prints from Naturally Educational: make rainbow leaf prints.
9. Window Painting from My Little 3 and Me: add more colour to your room with this leaf suncatcher.
10. Rustic Pine Cone Apple Craft from Fireflies and Mudpies: paint pine cones to turn them into something else… apples, for instance!
11. Observational Drawing from Nature from An Everyday Story: bring nature inside and try sketching it.
12. Leaf Drawing and Doodling from Artful Parent: you do not need paper to draw on – just use leaves for creating fun designs!
13. Pumpkin House from Nurture Store: draw on a pumpkin to make a house or anything else you would like.
14. Concentric Leaf Shapes from Almost Unschoolers: make a drawing of leaves floating in water with this simple project.
15. Scratch Art Leaves from Art Projects for Kids: use the leaf template to make your scratch art or create your own leaf designs.
16. Autumn Hedgehogs from My Little 3 and Me: make hedgehogs with sticks and some play dough.
17. Homemade Herb and Spice Playdough from Craftulate: play dough is the first step to learning sculpting; make sure to try herb-spiced play dough for fall play.
18. Pumpkin Spice Playdough from Mama. Papa. Bubba: pumpkin-spice play dough will also bring an autumn twist to your play dough games.
19. Clay Autumn Leaves from Our Little House in the Country: make leaves with clay, then paint them to decorate the house.
20. How to Make Autumn Leaf Bowls from Red Ted Art: once you master making clay leaves, turn them into colourful bowls.
21. Button Pumpkin from Adventure in a Box: quick and easy, yet impressive project with scissors, tape and buttons.
22. Autumn Art Leaf Collage from Nurture Store: combine two autumn projects by making a sticky picture frame and a splendid leaf collage.
23. Fall Leaf Punch Collage from Craftulate: a craft made with paper leaf silhouettes and punched leaves.
24. Fabulous Fall Collage from Happy Hooligans: sometimes the best art materials can be found right in your yard.
25. Bark Owl Craft from Fireflies and Mudpies: look for a piece of bark, acorns, pine cones and seeds, then see if you can turn them into a little woodland creature.
26. Fall Nature Wreath from Fun at Home with Kids: make a gorgeous autumn wreath together with children for free!
27. Fall Leaves Resist Art Suncatcher from Twodaloo: try powdered paint for this stunning suncatcher.
28. Picasso Pumpkin from Mini Monets and Mommies: make a pumpkin painting, cubist style!
29. Paint Swatch Pointilism from Lalymom: make an apple collage, imitating the works of Seurat.
30. Andy Goldsworthy Leaf Art from Red Ted Art: continue art studies by creating a leaf collage, based on the work of Goldsworthy.
31. Autumn Colour Graph from The Mommy Talks: finally, collect leaves and make a nature colour graph!
What art projects are you working on with children this fall? I would be delighted to see more ideas and projects!