Christmas: Guess Who Game is a printable educational game that features Christmas characters from around the world.
In places where the seasons are well defined and the winter months are cold, December often brings a celebration that revolves around a particular character who brings the festive spirit along with a bag of presents for children. Mostly they focus on the figure of a kind old man. In the USA and Canada, he is known as Santa Claus. In Europe, many countries anticipate his prototype, Saint Nicholas. In Slavic country, people wait for Father Frost, who also looks and behaves like Santa Claus. In Scandinavia, the gifts are brought by a gnome, and in Iceland, there is a jolly gang of trolls. But the list doesn’t end here. There are plenty of other unique gift-bringers!
This game was made:
- to celebrate cultural diversity
- to tell about some interesting traditions from around the world that are all centred on the darkest and coldest time of the year
- to encourage players’ interest in learning more about life around the world
The game features:
- printable design – just download the file, print and make your own
- twenty unique characters from around the world who bring children gifts during winter festivities such as Santa Claus, Befana, Krampus, Grandfather Frost, Jultomten, and many more
- forty double-sided character cards, each portraying a full-height illustration of a gift-bringer with a description of some of his or her most prominent features
- twenty information cards, each featuring an illustration of the character, a short summary about what he or she is known for, and a “Merry Christmas” or similar greeting in his native language
- rules for a two-player game, bonus rules, party rules and classroom rules
How to Play Christmas Guess Who Game
Take turns asking a “yes” or “no” question about your opponent’s mystery character. Based on your opponent’s answer, flip your character cards to eliminate some of the characters. When you’re ready to guess, say the name of who you think is featured on your opponent’s card. If you’re right, you win the round.
We hope you will enjoy this game!
Here are a few questions that may need answering before you decide how suitable this pack is for your family!
Can I use this pack if my children still believe in Santa Claus?
Yes, as long as they would be alright with the knowledge that children in other countries get gifts from different characters. While some of the articles on gift-bringing characters briefly discuss their roots, the fact that parents play their roles in the modern world has been tactfully omitted. If your children already know that, they will understand. If they don’t, the articles shouldn’t reveal any secrets.
Is this pack religiously-oriented or secular-oriented?
Neither. This material objectively presents the traditions in different cultures without much examination of the belief-systems behind them. Many gift-bringers came from Christian traditions (Christkind, Saint Nicholas, Saint Lucia, and, surprisingly, Befana), while others have pagan or secular origins (Yule Lad, Julnisse, Snow Maiden).
Do all these characters come at Christmas time?
Thereabouts. As you meet different characters, you will find out that not all of them come on Christmas day, though. Sinterklaas comes on his own day, December 6, but for those countries who celebrate him, this is the beginning of the seasonal winter celebrations. Tovlis Papa, from Georgia, behaves in many ways like Santa Claus and brings gifts for children, but he actually comes on New Year’s Eve. Befana is even known to sneak into houses through a chimney to leave her gifts, but she comes on the day of Epiphany (January 6), which concludes the holiday celebrations in Italy.
Whenever these characters come though, they add to the festive spirit of winter celebrations. And if you get into the spirit of Christmas around the world, you can hold your own celebrations of different characters. Have Krampus visit on December 6 or dress like Saint Lucia, with candles in your hair, on December 13.
You can buy this as a part of Christmas Around the World bundle!