About the CVC Blocks
CVC Phonetic Reading Rods are inspired by the wooden blocks used in Montessori schools. The blocks provide an opportunity for children to practise easy phonetic-based reading, while using a toy that they can manipulate. With this printable set, you can build six CVC rods – five rods with vowels “a”, “e”, “i”, “o”, “u” and one rod with a changeable vowel.
Benefits of the CVC Blocks
- They improve children’s confidence with READING. Since all of the words are based on the principle of CVC, they are very easy for beginning readers.
- Children delight in twisting the blocks to discover NEW WORDS. While using the blocks, children will read over a hundred words! Definitions for some of the more obscure words are provided.
- They introduce a big selection of WORDS THAT RHYME. Twist a block and turn “cat” into “bat” or “pig” into “fig”.
- ADDITIONAL ACTIVITIES are included. One encourages children to divide the words into the ones they know and the ones they do not know. Another suggests a list of words they can build from the blocks.
- You can MAKE THEM YOURSELF.