After a day on the beach, collecting rocks and seashells, make this keepsake craft with kids by putting all of their nature finds into a collage!
Recently we spent a great day on the beach, collecting rocks and smooth beach glass. Most of the glass pieces were tiny, and we had no practical use for them. But it was so much fun to spot another little gem in the sand that we couldn’t stop. What could we do with them after bringing them home? We decided to put them together in a seashell and beach glass collage!
Materials for Making the Nature Collage
– cardstock paper (blue, green or whatever colour you’d like)
– little seashells, rocks, beach glass and dried moss or seaweed
1. Draw the silhouette of a fish on a piece of paper or print one from here.
2. Cut the design out.
3. Apply strips of packing tape to the back of the paper so that the sticky surface is exposed in the cutouts.
4. Collect your seashells, glass and other finds in a bowl.
5. Stick your treasures to the tape! Natural materials are fun for kids to explore and sort, and my son took his time, assembling his sea collage.
This is how the collage looked when Budster was finished with it.
Have some nature fun with our nature STEAM bundle! Children will learn about nature while playing games, completing engineering challenges, going on scavenger hunts, and making art with natural materials.
Budster has since filled in the blank spots in his fish with the addition of some coloured rice from his sensory bin, so that’s also an idea!
If you want to stay updated on new stories from Adventure in a Box, subscribe g to our Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram pages!
This turned out beautiful and I would not have thought of using tape but love the idea!