Learn how to start a printable nature journal with kids using a free template that offers ten creative prompts. This simple STEM activity will encourage kids to go outside, explore nature scientifically, then record their nature finds artistically!
Our appreciation of the world around us grows when we pay close attention to small details. Like an ant carrying a chip of wood bigger than its own body. Or a lilac blossom about to burst open. Or a songbird lofting a tune from up in a tree top. Nature journals encourage us to focus on our surroundings and record our observations.
What does a nature journal usually include? A lot of people like to sketch in their journals, learning the art of quick drawing from nature. But it can also contain notes, photographs, poetry, pressed flowers and other nature finds like feathers or questions about nature. In the end, a nature journal serves as both unique art and science practice.
What are the benefits of keeping a nature journal? There are lots of them such as:
- improving your observational skills
- practicing drawing and writing skills
- creating a keepsake
- getting outside and being active
- connecting with other people through art and nature if several of your friends or family members decide to do it together
While anyone can start a nature journal simply by picking an empty sketchbook or notebook, this nature journal template is an introduction to nature journaling for children. It gives them prompts and tasks to complete. With only ten pages, they will be able to fill it in a day or two. If they enjoy the experience, afterwards they will be able to start another nature journal from scratch.
This printable nature journal was initially created for our NATURE STEAM pack of printable projects and activities. Using ten projects that are ready to be printed and used, children will learn about nature while playing games, completing engineering challenges, going on scavenger hunts, and making art with natural materials.
HOW TO FILL THE PRINTABLE NATURE JOURNAL FOR KIDS
- Look closely and draw. Pay attention to colour, form, and texture.
- Label the drawings. Use the names of species and parts when appropriate.
- Write down any questions you have and look the answers up later.
- Add the date and the place, noting where the drawing or the observation was made.
This is my son working on his journal.
And this is my journal. After all, adults can try it too!
ABOUT THE PRINTABLE NATURE JOURNAL FOR KIDS
- colour-your-own cover
- 10 pages of inspirational tasks that encourage kids to explore nature
- find and draw pages
- a page of questions and thoughts about nature
- instructions on how to put it together – or you can watch a video in this post for a live tutorial!
Download the Printable Nature Journal Template!
Other Projects to Try!
Make 3D Paper Models of Insects
Other Printable Journals for Kids
Thank you for reading!
This is such a cute nature journal that I’m sure my children will love! Thank you for making this available! I’m excited to put it to use right now!