Many of the projects on my blog use silhouette designs. You can cut them by hand or you can use a special silhouette cutting machine. Here’s a quick tutorial on importing JPG or PNG files into Cricut Design Space, so that you could cut them out with a Cricut Machine.
There are six steps involved, but they’re all very basic. Adding one file should take you no longer than a couple of minutes, and once you learn how to import JPG and PNG into Cricut Design Space, you can do it with any silhouette images easily! Here I am going to show you how to import the files of one of our shadow puppet sets – Three Billy Goats Gruff – into Cricut Design Space. You can do it with any of our other shadow puppet sets!
JPG or PNG in Cricut Tutorial
1. Log into your Design space account. Start a new project and click Upload Image.
2. Choose the option Cut your image for free and click the Upload Image button.
3. Choose the file to upload.
4. The preview of your image will appear. Select the image type on the right. All the silhouette designs we’ve got are simple image with high-contrast colours and a transparent or monochrome background.
5. At the next step, you can remove certain areas of the image by either erasing the lines or cropping the image.
6. This is the step where you see the original file being transformed into the file that the program will recognize. For the silhouette designs, choose Save as a Cut Image. Give the design a name to find it later. Press the Save button at the bottom
7. The file will be added to your library, and you can cut it any time!
Our Silhouette Crafts
All of our shadow puppets can be cut in Cricut, using this method.
Also, all of our Mason Jar Lanterns come with silhouette designs that can be cut in Cricut.
If you like silhouette crafts, you might also like our Silhouette Christmas Bundle. The book is a collection of various ideas for Christmas-themed silhouette crafts—ornaments, lanterns, cards, tags and toys. Altogether, there are fifteen silhouette crafts with over sixty pages of printable silhouette designs.